About Us

Architects and Planners for Justice in Palestine
UK architects, planners and other construction industry professionals campaigning for a just peace in Israel/Palestine.


After Israel issues West Bank tenders || U.S. demands explanations from Israel, Palestinians threaten to call off peace talks

US State Department expresses 'deep concern' over plans for 20,000 new West Bank homes. Palestinian President Abbas calls for emergency meetig in Ramallah; Netanyahu instructs Housing Minister to 'er-examine' tenders.

by Barak David, Jack Khoury and Chaim Levinson    12 November 2013         Haaretz

Construction in Har Homa - AP

Construction in Har Homa. Photo by AP

The U.S. State Department said it is "deeply concerned" by Israel's  announcement over the tenders issued for the construction of 20,000 new settlement units in the West Bank and that it is demanding explanations from Israel.

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas threatened to call off peace talks if Israel did not go back on its new settlement plans, and has called for an emergency meeting Wednesday in Ramallah to discuss the issue.

Meanwhile, Netanyahu reprimanded Housing Minister Uri Ariel on Tuesday night, instructing him to halt the tenders for all 20,000 settlement units.

State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said that Washington was taken by surprise and had no prior knowledge of the plans. "We were surprised by it and we are seeking explanation from the Israeli government. It was not discussed in advance. We don’t recognize the legitimacy of settlements."

National Security Council spokesperson Bernadette Meehan said: “We are deeply concerned by these latest reports that over 20,000 additional units are in the early planning stages.  We are currently seeking further explanation from the Government of Israel.  Our position on settlements is quite clear:  We have always considered the settlements to be illegitimate."

Meehan added: "We have called on both sides to take steps to create a positive atmosphere for the negotiations.  We do not consider settlement planning, even in its early stages, to be a step that creates a positive environment for the negotiations.”

A senior Palestinian official told Haaretz that Abbas spoke to Kerry and other members of the Quartet, as well as Arab League Secretary General Nabil al-Arabi.

The official also said there is a growing demand among Palestinian leadership to stop the negotiations and turn to UN bodies, however aides close to Abbas believe he won't make good on the threat without coordinating with the Americans first.

"You must remember that stopping negotiations and the diplomatic process is what the settlers and their representative, Housing Minister Uri Ariel, want most. If we play into their hands, they will have achieved their goals. Netanyahu needs to prove what it is he wants: To reach an agreement or to blow up the process," the senior official said.

On Tuesday night, Netanyahu instructed Housing Minister Uri Ariel to re-examine the tenders. According to the PMO, Netanyahu told Minister Ariel that his move does not contribute to the settlements, but actually damages them. 

The prime minister emphasized that the tenders have no legal or practical significance that creates unnecessary friction with the international community at a time when Israel is trying to recruit it for a better deal on Iran. Netanyahu also told Ariel that he expects him to coordinate with him on such moves before going ahead. Ariel explained that these are only potential plans and have not reached any formal stage.

Earlier on Tuesday, the Housing Ministry admitted that the tender in the E1 area was done behind Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's back.

Just hours after the news broke, Netanyahu ordered a halt to the construction plans in the E1 area. The Prime Minister's Office issued a statement: "There is no reason to pay an international price for a planning process that isn't that significant." This tender is part of a plan for over 20,000 housing units throughout the West Bank, the largest in the last decade.

Netanyahyu: 'There is no E1. I won't hear of it'

Details on the plans for new settlement construction landed on Cabinet Secretary Avichai Mendelblit's table Tuesday morning, including the plans for 1,200 units in the controversial E1 area between Ma'ale Adumim and Jerusalem.

According to sources close to Netanyahu, Mendelblit went right away to the Prime Minister's Office to update him. "Netanyahu immediately told Mendelblit to tell [Housing Minister] Uri Ariel there is no E1. I won't hear of it." 

Mendelblit contacted the housing minister to inform him of the prime minister's demand to halt the planning process for E1, but as of Tuesday evening, the two hadn't spoken directly.

Sources close to Netanyahu said Housing Minister Ariel's move "was irresponsible and thoughtless. Israel is concentrating all its diplomatic efforts on the Iranian issue in order to avoid a bad deal, and suddenly this move comes in and steers all international attention to the issue of settlements."

The broader plan of some 20,000 housing units encompasses several urban areas, as well as the Binyamin Regional Council and Gush Etzion. This is an unusually large number of tenders, unprecedented in the last decade. The tenders are for planning only - some are skeleton plans, some constitute general urban building schemes and others, detailed urban building schemes.


Controversial West Bank tender in E1 area issued behind Netanyahu's back

There is no reason for Israel to pay an international price for a meaningless move, Prime Minister Office states, after halting Ministry plans.

by Jonathan Lis, Chaim Levinson and Barak Ravid         12 November    Haaretz


The Judea and Samaria Police headquarters in the E1 area near Ma'aleh Adumim. Photo by Emil Salman

The Housing Ministry admitted Tuesday afternoon that the tender it issued for the construction of 1,200 housing units in the E1 area was done behind Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's back.

Just hours after the news broke, Netanyahu ordered a halt to the construction plans in the E1 area. The Prime Minister's Office issued a statement: "There is no reason to pay an international price for a planning process that isn't that significant." This tender is part of a plan for over 20,000 housing units throughout the West Bank, the largest in the last decade.

Officials close to Housing Minister Uri Ariel said publishing the tenders without Netanyahu's knowledge is not out of the ordinary. "The tender for planning companies is like those [found] throughout the country. There are plans for 600,000 residential units ssued every year throughout Israel, and it is a process that takes seven years. This is not the marketing of residential units. They can be used in the future or not, but there is no reason not to plan."

E1 has an area of 12 square kilometers (for the sake of comparison: Ramat Gan has an area of 13 square kilometers, and Lod an area of roughly 12) that spreads out to the north and west of the city of Ma’aleh Adumim. From a municipal standpoint, the land belongs to the Ma’aleh Adumim municipality. The area has a general overall plan from which five more overall plans are derived: two for housing, industry, hotels and a water reservoir known as Ketef Tzofim.

According to the overall housing plan, 1,250 housing units are planned for the southern section of the area, and 2,400 for its eastern section. The industrial zone is planned for an area of 1,340 dunams. The hotel plan includes the construction of dozens of hotels with a total of 2,152 rooms and 260 more housing units. In the past, Israel had begun preparing the land for the southern plan of 1,250 housing units; roads and infrastructure were built and a police station was constructed at the top of the hill, but American pressure stalled the plans.